The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Uncle Aaron is on the Case, Literally

If any of you saw any of the Spider-Man movies over the past decade or however long, you are familiar with the wisdom that Uncle Ben passed on to Peter…”with great power comes great responsibility.” You may be asking yourself why I’m bringing this up. No, I have not gained superpowers through some strange and unforeseen accident, like an irradiated coffee mug getting chipped and then scrapping me turning me into a super barista, or, ya know, things of that nature. This is something for more serious. I’m going to be an uncle. Yes, as I had foretold in a previous blog, I am going to finally have my chance to be “crazy” Uncle Aaron. So, like Uncle Ben from Spider-Man, I will have the power to pass on amazing wisdom I have gained through my travels in this life. Wisdom like, um, oh, yeah, “if it ain’t clear, it ain’t beer.” Or, “it doesn’t matter how much you like a girl, it’s whether she’ll even look at you that matters.” Also, “if you rush to grow up, you’ll forget to.” I’ve got all kinds of gems or pearls of wisdom even though they are not really coming to me right now. I should probably write them down, which is one of them, “write that down.” I’m sort of a mix between all the best and worst role models. It will be excellent. Plus, I’ve still got like eight months to perfect everything into one cohesive strategy. It’s kind of like off season in football. I’ve got to scheme a new outlook on life that involves being a good uncle. Plans are in the works to trade some of my bad habits for some less offensive ones, but negotiations have stalled for the time being.

Aside from that fun and blessed event still to come in my life, I’ve got a new addition hounding me right now. Yes, we have inherited another one of my brother’s dogs. Their eleven month old bloodhound, June, has come to stay with us so that Josh and Rachel can square things away a little more. She, June, is a handful and with both of them working and trying to maintain some semblance of a social life, it is hard to focus on her as much as she needs. She’s a great puppy, if you can get past the dopey look on her face, the clumsiness, the hyperactivity, and the drool. I like her, though I won’t admit that in front of her. It’s a pride thing, is all. I don’t want her to know I have the upper hand. I don’t follow that alpha dog training thing nor am I some new-age yahoo. I have been called the dog-whisperer by my friends for my uncanny ability to gain the trust of dogs that usually shy away people they don’t know. Either way, I look forward to having her around, even though she makes it completely pointless to take a shower or wear clean clothes.

I don’t have a clever wrap up for this one, folks. Consider this a straight forward update on some important things in my life. That’s it…

No comments:

Post a Comment