The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's been 10 years...darn, thought it was longer

I've written about my 10 year high school reunion before, but as it is tomorrow I am going to just touch on the subject again. I initially wanted to go to my reunion since I figured that is what you are supposed to do. After getting in touch with an old high school girl friend (now friend) several years ago, she convinced me that going to the reunion would be a torturous waste of time. I stuck with that idea up until a couple weeks ago when that same friend IMed me to ask me if I would go with her and another friend to the reunion. So now I am apparently going. Luckily I planned ahead a bought a ticket, just in case, but mostly because the reunion committee kept sending facebook messages about being sure to buy your ticket so they would have the money to pay for the venue. Regardless, I am going. I still don't really feel like going, but everyone says I will have a good time (and for some reason I trust them). I know all about reunions due to what I read on wikipedia and what my brother and friends have told me about theirs.

A class reunion is a meeting of former classmates, typically organized at or near their former school by one of the class on or around an anniversary of their graduation. Former teachers may be invited as well. Usually, participants nostalgically reminisce about their old school days, fondly remember their school pranks, and bring each other up to date on what has happened to each of them since they went their separate ways. Alumni are quite often concerned about how their lives have turned out when compared with the lives of their former classmates, and will sometimes feel pressured enough to go to great lengths to concoct stories about their fruitful careers, personal accomplishments and relationships with others.

In film and literature, especially crime novels, thrillers and psychological suspense novels, class reunions have been a frequent device used to show the eruption of emotions such as shame, hatred or guilt within individual characters who, suddenly faced again with their own youth, become aware of the fact that they have been unable to cope with their past. In many cases, those who used to be bullied, humiliated or in any other way mistreated by their teachers and/or classmates believe that now their chance has come to take revenge on their former torturers. Another staple of this kind of fiction is former classmates taking up with their old flame again, either because they have changed to their advantage and developed into an admirable adult or precisely for the opposite reason—because they have not changed at all in a fleeting world.

I don't have much else to say. I may do a special edition of The Elder Statesman next week to tell ya'll about it, but I don't think I'll have that much to say. I mean really...is getting back together with the people who I spent four grueling years with ten years ago going to change anything about my life for the next ten years or more? Probably not. In fact, it will probably be a relatively expensive night on the town thinking about past glories and failures (basically the same as my early twenties). I'll let you know how it goes maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment