The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Friday, June 18, 2010

An achievement beyond recognition...or one that no one is recognizing

Alright, I’m going to say it…where’s the love? Wednesday night, in a game against the Marlins in South Florida, Michael Young tied Ivan Rodriguez's club mark of 1,747 hits in the seventh, then drove a 2-2 fastball from Florida reliever Jay Buente one inning later into center field for the record and a three-run lead. Young has flourished throughout his career in those situations, but never before had something else so personally significant been on the line. He now has 1,748 hits and a deeper appreciation for the significance of the mark now that he has it. But where is the appreciation for him from the fans and the media for this career defining milestone? Practically nowhere to be found, that’s where. Sure, ESPN managed to get the stat out before moving on to highlights from the Yankees game, the local radio station that covers the Rangers went on and on about it without receiving one call from the fans, and the local and national press buried it in their daily game recaps…but, where is the parade, where are the fans holding vigil at the ballpark, and where is the love that our understated team leader deserves?

You all know that I am a diehard Rangers fan. I elate at their good times, crumble in their rough times, and wager every year that they will make the playoffs (even when it is apparent they won’t). Some may say that I like to love a loser (and judging by past relationships, that might be true), but I contend that I love to love the home team. Born and raised in Dallas, I didn’t have any other team that represented baseball but the Rangers. I am part of the first generation of lifelong Rangers fans, being born ten years after the club moved to Texas. When I think of pitching, I think of Charlie Hough and Nolan Ryan. When I think of catchers, I think of Jim Sundberg and Ivan Rodriguez. When I think of fielders, I think of Buddy Bell and Rusty Greer (personal hero). And when I think of managers, I think of Bobby Valentine and Johnny Oates. These were my baseball heroes growing up. Not anyone else on any other team, no matter how good, could compare to these guys. Michael Young has been on my list of baseball heroes since he made his debut on September 29, 2000, for the Texas Rangers. He’s a six time All-Star (All-Star Game MVP in 2006), an American League batting champion (2005), and a Gold Glove Award winner (2008). He is the consummate professional, usually first in the clubhouse on game day, and the strong silent leader of a team that has been down and been up throughout his career here. If you asked me, I’d retire his number tomorrow, because after Michael Young’s presence on this team, no one else should where the number 10 here again.

Just how great is this guy? Aside from being a career .303 hitter, he is humble as all get out. Late last year when Derek Jeter became the New York Yankees' all-time hits leader, he received a congratulatory call from Michael Young. During the conversation, Jeter said he just wanted to get the thing done with as quickly as possible because there were bigger things to focus on. After the game, sipping on an ice-cold Presidente beer, Young really understood why Jeter felt the way he did. "I might have gone up there on Tuesday thinking about trying to get hits instead of hitting," Young said. "That's not my approach. When I came to the park today, I said, 'What's my approach? OK, lock it in.' Now, I can focus on the bigger picture. The reason I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible was so it didn't become a focal point. We can all focus on what's really important." That is, of course, for the Rangers to reach the playoffs for the first time in Young's career and in 11 years overall. That singular goal, not the various categories in which he either leads the Rangers franchise or those in which he is quickly climbing up the list, is what drives Young. Always has. It's only that it has become more realistic in the last year or so. Michael Young is a team player and he finds true success in the victories of his team. “…the most important thing tonight was getting a win," said Young.

So, I ask again, whether he wants it or not…where is the love? Well, according to my source at Fox Sports Southwest, there will be a pregame ceremony in recognition of his achievement July 10, when the Rangers face Baltimore at Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (really, three weeks from now!?). Not exactly what I would hope for when questioning the love, but you take what you can get. And just like with Michael Young, sometimes the greatest things come in the most unassuming packages.

Congrats, Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment