The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Finding your own trail isn't a metaphor

While reading the new last night after class I came across an article that listed the nine U.S. hikes with gorgeous finales. I mentioned in a previous blog about my dream to hike the most important trail in the Incan world, the Machu Picchu trail in Peru. This isn’t the only hike I’d like to undertake in my life. The plan would be, once my life begins, for me to take my holidays in exotic places hiking trails and recreationally photographing things. Not a bold endeavor, mind you, but one that I want to accomplish in my life. My father wanted to learn how to fly, but never did, due to letting life, work, and family consuming his time. Since I am nowhere near the family tip, then it may be possible for me to do this. I just need to make sure that when I settle down with someone, that she would enjoy doing this too. That way I am not hiking alone every time.

Why hiking? Why not? It’s outdoors, in nature, where we as humans belong. Not just nature either, hiking usually involves some of the best that nature has to offer. Tremendous views, communing with wildlife, and absorbing the environment are all the positives that hiking has to offer. It is such a popular activity that there are numerous hiking organizations worldwide. The health benefits of different types of hiking have been confirmed in studies. Hiking is one of the fundamental outdoor activities on which many others are based. Many beautiful places can only be reached overland by hiking. Hiking is better than a tour in a vehicle of any kind because your senses are not intruded upon by distractions such as windows, engine noise, airborne dust and fellow passengers. Hiking over long distances or over difficult terrain requires both the physical ability to do the hike and the knowledge of the route and its pitfalls. So you see, hiking provides you with the best perspective on things. It requires you to use both mental and physical faculties, to the extreme in some cases. It takes preparation, discipline, and fortitude, which are important in all aspects of life.

So where do I go, besides to Peru? Well, reading this article gave me some pretty sound ideas. Considering hiking is not always the be-all-end-all in and of itself, it can be tricky to find the right place to go. Though some say the journey is its own reward…that is not always true when it comes to hiking. If you’ve ever been on any particular hike with the most scenic views and hit a more treacherous patch, then you know the journey can be more of a burden than a blessing. The endpoint of a truly great hike, be it a breathtaking view or the most soothing waters, can throw all doubt and regret out the window. In these cases, the destination is the biggest reward of all.

Let me highlight some of the trails in this article that sparked my interest. Let’s started with Conundrum Creek Trail just outside of Aspen, Colorado, which was called one of fifty authentic American experiences by Time Magazine. After a grueling 8.5-mile trek through the Maroon Bell–Snowmass Wilderness, few things feel better than soaking in one-hundred-degree waters with gorgeous mountains as the backdrop. Having experienced hot springs before, I can only imagine how get they would be after hiking your ass off. Apparently clothing is optional at these hot springs, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I got even more of a view than I expected. This can be good or bad depending on who else is on the trail with you. I’ve always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, but never thought of hiking it until I saw this article, which suggests taking a different trail than the South Kaibab. As opposed to the other main trail, the Bright Angel Trail offers more shade and places to get water. It starts at the south rim of the canyon and goes down 4,380 feet and about eight miles to the beautiful Colorado River. According to the National Park Service, you shouldn’t try to go to the river and back in a day, especially on really hot days; an average of 230 people have to be rescued in the Grand Canyon every year, many of them on the Bright Angel Trail. It is considered one of the ten most dangerous hikes in the United States, but I won’t let that stop me from experiencing the spectacular Grand Canyon scenery…I’ll just have to be prepared with camping gear.

I have to admit I will be tired of all the dry, rocky trail hiking at some point, which is good because then I can head out east to the Mount Riga State Park Trail in Connecticut. At the end of this trail lies Bear Mountain, the highest point in Connecticut and the place to see views of three states…New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut…at once. The twelve-mile hike is part of the famous Appalachian Trail and goes through gorgeously green forests with wildflowers and wildlife. It is listed as one of the best trails for seeing ancient forest growth and also includes lakes and sweeping valleys before reaching the top. Or, if I don’t feel like dealing with New Englanders, I could head to Virginia for the Old Rag Mountain Hike. There are a few ways to reach the top of Old Rag Mountain, located in Shenandoah National Park, but ascending via Ridge Trail and coming back on the Saddle Trail is suggested. At the top, I’ll find panoramic views of the Virginia landscape and lush, colorful plant life. The hike is seven miles round-trip, which doesn’t seem that long, but it does involve scrambling up boulders for a short duration. I hear that due to the popularity of the view at the, this climb’s almost always crowded, but I could avoid that by going during the winter.

Of the nine places in the article, where’s the first place I could likely start my campaign? How about the Raven Cliff Falls Trail in Georgia? Having a friend living in Georgia would make this the most likely place for me to start my life of hiking. Being able to stay at his place and then travel out to my destination in the Raven Cliff Wilderness area would be ideal. Plus, I would have an emergency contact nearby, if needed. This 2.5-mile path goes along Dodd Creek, big trees, and even some waterfalls in the Chattahoochee National Forest, but nothing compares to the awe-inspiring Raven Cliff Falls at the end. The walk there is fairly easy, but I’m sure I’ll need to climb up a steep path to get to the top of the cliff. But it’s short and not that strenuous, making this hike suitable for the first in a long line of hikes to come (hopefully). So that is the plan, after finishing school and getting a job that might allow vacation time for ridiculous excursions.

No comments:

Post a Comment