The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Opening Day is One Week Away


It’s only one week away. Exactly seven days from right now, as I am writing this, will the beginning of the greatest spectacle to befall the eyes of man. Perhaps the comforting thing a person can experience. It simultaneously delights, frustrates, and excites whoever comes in contact with it. It is the Opening Day of Texas Rangers baseball. Where rich man and poor man alike schedule themselves off of work, round up their friends, pack a cooler full of beer and hot dogs, and make the pilgrimage to the cathedral of baseball in Texas (the Ballpark in Arlington). Sure, you could not put the time and effort into it and just hope that you don’t regret it, or you can make every effort to be a part of it. My feeling is, when they finally make it to the post-season and even the World Series I am going to want to be able to say that I was there when that season began. Baseball runs in my blood. My father played ball and so did I. I’m a T-Shirt League Champion and I’ve got the trophy to prove it. It is just an amazing sport. Where can you go and enjoy the weather, have a conversation, drink beer, experience a live sporting event and catch a souvenir? A baseball game. The scent of fresh cut grass drifting through the ballpark mingles with the smell of hot dogs and popcorn in a delightful millage of olfactory goodness. The sun drenching the bleachers and reflecting off of the freshly polished helmets creates a dance of light that is irreplaceable. And don’t forget the sounds, the crack of wood on leather, the rush of the breeze through the stands, and the sudden uproar of fans when the ball goes sailing over the wall, that is what baseball means. 
My friends and I have been doing this for years now. We all make sure that we can make it to Opening Day. Things have changed, but not our trips to Opening Day. Three of us are married now, two of us have kids, and one of us doesn’t live in the state anymore, but we still find a way to make this happen. I think I take this more seriously than the others. I’m completely committed. I am the one who makes sure the tickets are bought. I plan out how we can make it work, whether we could tailgate or just go to the game. I am the only one of us that makes sure to buy a new jersey to wear each year. It is not to say that any of the others of us are not into this as much as me, but I feel like I go the extra mile. I feel like I take the steps that the others either don’t think about or don’t have time to think about. But, it’s Opening Day and you have to go all in or you might as well stay home.
Guess what I have to look forward to with my Opening Day festivities. Roger Staubach, who led the Cowboys to two Super Bowl titles, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day against the Toronto Blue Jays. Yes, Roger the Dodger is going to be throwing out the first pitch. It is not like living in Dallas doesn’t give you opportunities to see or meet Staubach, but you rarely get to see him do anything not football related. Staubach is being honored not only for his Hall of Fame football career, but for his instrumental role as the chairman of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee. Arlington will host the 2011 Super Bowl at nearby Cowboy Stadium. Ryan said that the ball club felt that Roger Staubach was a very appropriate choice for this year's first pitch. Having him do this gives everyone the opportunity to salute his efforts in bringing Super Bowl XLV to North Texas. Staubach follows in the Rangers' long tradition of Texas heroes who have thrown out the ceremonial first pitch at the home opener. Former president George W. Bush did the honors last year. Staubach, who played baseball at the Naval Academy, was with the Cowboys from 1969-79, leading them to Super Bowl titles in 1971 and 1977. The Cowboys played in five Super Bowls, overall, during Staubach's time with them. Staubach, a six-time Pro Bowler, was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1985. He is currently a successful businessman who still makes his home in Dallas.

Speaking of pitching, the Rangers have set their starting rotation, optioning pitchers Brandon McCarthy and Derek Holland to Triple-A Oklahoma City and naming Scott Feldman as their Opening Day starter. The rotation was set up this spring for Rich Harden to be the Opening Day starter, but an adjustment will be made so that Feldman will take the mound on April 5 against the Toronto Blue Jays. I agree with this decision because Feldman deserves the honor. He won 17 games for us last year, and he's throwing the ball very well so far this spring. After Feldman comes Harden, followed by C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis and Matt Harrison. Wilson has been in the bullpen for the past four seasons, but has won a spot in the rotation. It’s hard to say that I’m not skeptical about C.J. moving into the rotation, but there is nothing that can be done about it now. Personally, I would have given Neftali Feliz a rotation spot, instead of sending him to the bullpen. So go ahead and place a check mark next to the starting rotation and starting lineup for opening day because Ron Washington and the rest of the Rangers' brain trust have. But when Washington sits down to put the final touches on the full roster, he still has some evaluating left to do. Three openings remain…two on the bench and one in the bullpen. A second relief slot could develop if Darren O'Day's elbow hasn't healed before April 5. The relief situation will be determined between Doug Mathis and Willie Eyre. Among the position players, no one has left enough of an impression on Washington to have secured a job, and newcomer Andres Blanco is now a front-runner to be on the roster. Washington wants the utility infielder to play defense first, while the ideal candidate for the backup corner spot can hit left-handed pitching and play first base. They don't have to be stars, but they have to be able to step in and execute.

On a sad note, unfortunately Ian “The Franchise” Kinsler is teetering on the edge of the disabled list. The high right ankle sprain suffered by The Franchise could have an impact on the roster situation if he winds up on the disabled list to start the season. More importantly, it could have an effect on the morale list if he isn’t there for Opening Day. Ian’s my boy and I want to see how far he has come since the ridiculous errors and streaky batting of last year. Luckily, the Rangers will wait on Kinsler as long as necessary, so a decision might not come until after the weekend exhibition games in Arlington and Frisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment