The title of The Elder Statesman came from the fact that I am the oldest out of my group of friends. Often, when enjoying fun times and adult beverages with friends, people would comment on my relaxed and sometimes patriarchal demeanor. So I joked that I was the "elder statesman" of the group. I was born and raised in Garland, TX, a suburb of Dallas. I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a degree in Economics and the University of Texas at Dallas with an MBA. I love my family and my friends and do everything I can to show them that. I have a beautiful woman by my side putting up with all my nonsense. I enjoy the finer things in life like scandal, intrigue, beer and baseball.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Into the Wilderness

Today is Ash Wednesday. Depending on what you believe, how you practice, or even if you practice, Ash Wednesday can hold several meanings. For some, it is just another day, annotated on the calendar along with other Christian days of importance. For many, including most Christians, it is the day that marks the beginning of the season of Lent. And, for Catholics, such as me, it is a solemn day of fasting and preparation for the beginning of the Lenten season. Regardless of what you believe or how you believe, Lent offers everyone an important opportunity to challenge themselves. If you don’t understand what I mean, let me explain it to you as I see it being a Christian and especially a Catholic. Lent is the ultimate challenge, the major throw down, the pinnacle of the dare…it is like sitting at the bar with Jesus sharing a drink and him turning to you and saying, “I bet you can’t be a better person for 40 days.” That is right; Lent offers us the chance to better ourselves. No, it doesn’t have to be all about punishing you and giving something up and blah-blah. Lent means improving yourself. I stopped giving up sweets and sodas a long time ago. Now, every year I try to make a commitment to do something better for myself, for those around me, or for my relationship with God. Last year I committed to taking fifteen minutes out of my day for solemn prayer and reflection, every day. It was so awesome and so fulfilling that I often wish I would have made it a habit. This year I will be focusing on myself by trying to get some exercise every day. Sounds selfish and vain, but exercise time is time away from the other distractions in my life, time to focus on helping myself sort through things. Also, in light of me writing this, I have decided to begin writing again. At least twice a week I will be blogging again for the Lenten season and beyond. For my former fans, it will be a lot of the same with a new twist…two more years of experience. For those of you who never experienced my blogging before, it will be a unique and opportune window into who I am and what I care about. If you get something out of it, great…if not, also good, but either way I hope you see what I’m trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment